Prod Before Popping That Pimple
Posted On: - 2008-09-26 00:39:11
What takes the fun out of a great party that you've been dying to go to, a big date that you were eagerly awaiting, or a client meeting where you need to make a good first impression?
Simple! It’s a pimple.
Nothing is worse than waking up to an ugly pimple. A reflex action might be to just pop it. However, before you give into this temptation there are certain things that you should know. Popping that pimple may just be as harmful as it easy to do.
To Pop or Not to Pop
Popping a pimple would be the easiest way to get rid of it and gives instant satisfaction. But while you gleam in the glory of having banished the pimple, get ready for the consequences . When you pick or pop a pimple, you are actually causing the dirt and bacteria to move deeper into your skin. This causes swelling and redness of the area and has the potential to leave a permanent scar.
Most pimples go away with time and are better left alone. If want to expedite the process, use a spot treatment. Look for products with ingredients like benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid. These are known to work best in curing acne. Apply about 3 times a day and watch your pimples dry out. Remeber to decrease the number of applications or stop them altogether if excessive dryness occurs. Clay mask treatments that contains either kaolin or bentonite have also been shown to work if used as spot treatments and can be left on overnight.
Acne Skin Care Products
Here are some great acne care products that may do wonders for you:
• Obagi Clenziderm MD Normal to Oily skin is clinically proven to identify the potential causes of acne and rectify them at root level. It clears the skin of any pimples and blemishes and makes way for smooth flawless skin!
• iS Clinical Active Serum corrects the skin situation and clears it of all forms of acne including pimples, inflammations, blackheads or whiteheads.
If there is no time at all and popping the pimple is just unavoidable, then you might as well go ahead and do it. However, there is a right way to do it. Though professional handling is always the best, here are some ways you can reduce the likeliness of doing any damage :
• Never pop a pimple that it not ripe. If there is just a painful red bump and no white top containing yellowish pus beneath surface, then take it as a cue that the pimple is not ready to be popped. Trying to pop it may only make the pain worse and the bump more noticeable.
• Thoroughly wash your face and hands before you begin the popping process so that you are free of all oil, dirt and bacteria.
• Touch the pimple with a warm washcloth and let it stay there for about 1-2 minutes. This will open the pore and the pimple can be popped more easily.
• Never pop a pimple with bare hands. Even if you have clean washed fingers, the natural oils in your fingertips will get spread to your face potentially causing more pimples to erupt. Rather wrap a tissue or toilet paper around your fingers for the task. This will ensure that there is a barrier between the skin on your face and your fingers.
• Press gently and press in the downward direction so that the pus is forced up and out instead of moving deeper into the pore. Wipe of the pus that comes out immediately. Don’t squeeze too hard and don’t repeat it more than once or there can be bleeding and swelling.
By Skin Care Heaven Make-up Consultant & Personal Care Editor