How To Protect Your Skin
Posted On: - 2008-10-10 03:07:10
In due course of the day, your skin is subjected to several external factors like sunlight, pollution, dirt and debris. We are all born with clean flawless skin but it’s these factors that lead to variations as we grow up. Here are some ways to keep your skin protected against external factors.
Use a good Sunscreen
Excessive exposure to sunlight can be lethal for you. Sunlight is comprised of harmful ultraviolet radiations that penetrate the skin surface and damage the cells within. It may lead to tanning, sun burns, premature aging etc. in extreme cases it can also cause skin cancer. Therefore it is essential to keep a good quality sunscreen handy.
Here are some considerations that you should keep in mind while buying a sunscreen:
• Its ability to protect against the UVA and UVB radiations of sunlight
• The SPF or Sun Protection Factor on the label. This informs about the time of sun exposure your skin can stand without being damaged. If you have sensitive skin, pick a sunscreen with SPF 20 or above.
• Keep the sunscreen handy when you go out for vacations at the seaside or mountains. Reflective surfaces like snow or water tend to multiply the effects of ultraviolet radiations
• Always apply sunscreens at least 20 minutes before stepping out into the sun so that the skin absorbs it properly
• Reapply it after every 2-3 hours so as not to break the protection chain
Keep Wrinkles at Bay
Vitamin C is one of the best agents to help find against any signs of aging including wrinkles and fine lines. ‘L-Ascorbic acid,’is a special form of vitamin C that performs these functions efficiently. There are also a range of skin care products available in the market that have concentrations of this vitamin. When applied on the skin surface, it soaks up free radicals that can potentially harm the skin tissues.
Protection against Pollution
Air pollution can take a heavy toll on your skin. This is because apart from dirt and debris that’s propagated through the air, there are also several bacteria that get transferred causing further skin damage. Body parts that are always covered show less signs of aging as compared to those that are exposed. Here are some precautions that you can take to protect yourself from polluting agents.
• Wash your face regularly with a good face wash, especially after getting home from outside so as to remove all accumulated dirt and debris.
• Use a mild cleanser after you have been outdoors for long
• Apply a generous layer of moisturizer, as per your skin type, that forms a protective layer shielding the skin surface from external elements
Genetic make up does play an important role in deciding your skin type. However, we are all blessed with soft and supple skin at birth. But how we treat our skin decides how well it becomes. Here are some other factors that count for skin damage:
• Our diet habits and lifestyle go a long way in determining the health and wellness of the skin.
• Drugs, nicotine, alcohol have detrimental effects on the skin which becomes more evident and visible with time.
• Moreover, the body goes through several changes as it grows and that affects the skin too. For instance, during puberty acne attacks are at the prime phase.
• Hormonal changes have an adverse impact too.
Marilyyn Syrett, well known Dermetologist and skin care expert. Apart from regular practice, she writes articles concerning special skin care, acne skin care and antiaging skin care. Many of the products she recommends can be found at www.skincareheaven.com