Acne Skin Care - What Should You Do About It?
Posted On: - 2008-10-20 22:50:35
The term ‘acne’ blankets a number of skin diseases like pimples, blackheads and whiteheads. Acne is the result of accumulation of bacteria within the pores of the skin and thus cause oil glands to swell up. This develops inflammations of the sebaceous glands and hair follicles.
Acne skin care is available by hordes in the market. But it is up to you to know what to do and how you use the products. Acne skin care products work from within and kill the bacteria thus receding oil production. The inflammations are hormonal in nature and acne skin care products work towards stabilizing these hormones so that you don’t have to worry about your skin’s health.
However, you must understand that acne skin care products don’t show results overnight. They take their time to reach the root cause of the disease and start eliminating them from scratch. How effective the acne skin product that you decide to use actually depends on you. There are certain things you should keep in mind while selecting and using a product.
Here are some tips:
• Wash your skin very gently. Use a mild cleanser in the morning as well as at night. Wash your face all over, right from the hairline to the neck. Make sure you rinse thoroughly.
• Avoid using strong soaps and scrubs as it will only make the acne worse. Also completely refrain from using any astringents
• Shampoo regularly so that no oil slides on your skin.
• Don’t ever squeeze the pimples on your face or pop your zits. It will leave behind scars and dark blemishes that will take pretty much time to go away.
• Acne skin care products may make you more susceptible to sunburn. In the short term sunburn can make your skin darker and blend in blemishes and scars. But these results will only be temporary. And then again excessive exposure to the sun may speed up the aging process of the skin and increase the risk of skin cancer.
• An acne skin care regimen may require you to abandon some of your cosmetics you are currently using. Make sure all the cosmetics that you use are oil free. Even the hair products that you use have to be oil free so that no oil spreads onto your forehead causing closing of comedons.
• Cosmetics that are high on oil content make skin more prone to acne attacks.
• Drink plenty of water so that your skin is hydrated and keeps detoxified.
• Eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables in order to retain ample amount of water levels in your body.
• Make sure you sleep really well. This is because our bodies require enough rest so as to function efficiently.
• Try to avoid stress completely as they can be a prime reason for acne breakouts. Discover a calming mechanism such as meditation or the like.
• Avoid touching your face with your hands constantly. Your hands contain oils that can aggravate the acne problem. Moreover, since we do so many things with our hands, they will have an adequate dose of bacteria in them.
• Last of all, but the most important, always read and follow the instructions on the acne skin care product very carefully. Acne skin care products require proper usage style so that they function efficiently.
Dr. Marilynn Syrett graduated from Western University of Health Sciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine Of The Pacific in 1998 and has a keen interest in the use and effectiveness of skin care products and acne skin treatments.